Farming System- Scope, Types, Importance
An important part of our responsibilities to partners & potential partners is to continue to educate you on the the versatility of Agriculture and why it is of importance.
Farming system is an integrated set of activities that farmers perform in their farms under their resources and circumstances to maximize the productivity and net farm income on a sustainable basis. The farming system takes into account the components of soil, water, crops, livestock, labour, capital,energy and other resources, managing agriculture and related activities. Depending on the type of farming e.g Arable/Pastoral, Commercial/Subsistence, the inputs, process and output will vary.
“ Farming System is defined as a complex inter related matrix of soil, plants, animals, implements, power, labour capital and other inputs controlled in part by farming families and influenced to varying degrees by political, economic, institutional and social forces that operate at many levels. The farming system therefore, refers to the farm as an entity of inter dependent farming enterprises carried out on the farm”.
Scope of a Farming System
Farming enterprises include crop, livestock, poultry, fish etc. A combination of one or more enterprise with cropping when carefully chosen, planned and executed gives greater dividends than a single enterprise, especially for small or marginal farmers. Farm as a unit is to be considered and planned for effective integration of the enterprise to be combined with crop production. A farm system involves the inputs, processes and outputs, Depending the type of farming e.g Arable/Pastoral, Commercial/Subsistence the amount of inputs, process and output will vary.
Types of Farming System
- Irrigated Farming System: This is a system of supplying water to farming fields that lack sufficient moisture for crop growth. This system increases water content in the root layer of soil in order to increase soil fertility and promote healthy crop growth.
- Irrigation makes cultivation of cash crops possible, ensuring good financial returns to farmers. Cash crops such as sugarcane & potatoes survive well with this system.
- It allows the growth of crops in periods when rainfall is inadequate.
- It ensures the moisture content of the soil is maintained. This allows for proper germination of seeds.
- Irrigation aids mineral nutrients absorption by plant of the soil.
Read Also: Oil Palm Process Business
2. Mixed Farming System: This is the most common farming in Nigeria. It involves the use of one farmland for two or more independent agricultural activities. Mixed farms are systems that consist of different parts, which together acts as a whole, An example of a mixed farming system is the combination of crop farming with live stock farming. The aim of this system is to ensure that Livestock doesn’t depend on external sources for food, crop farming gives feed to the animals and in turn, the animals can supply fertilizers to the crop.
- Both farming activities are mutually beneficial to each other much to the farmers delight.
- This system ensures that the fields are constantly in production all year round.
- Farming cost is reduced as the crops serve as feed for the animals while the animals supply the crops with nutrients through their droppings. All these reduce the running cost of the farm.
- The profit of the farmer from the field is greatly increased due to increased activity.
- Organic manure in the form of animal dropping ensures that the fields continue to be fertile every planting season.
3. Tree- Crop Farming System: This is a farming system that are grown for economic or environmental benefit. The most common tree crops produce includes cocoa, coffee, oil palm and rubber. After these industrial tree crops are planted, food crops are planted between them and are grown mainly for subsistence. Also, few animals are also raised in addition to the planted trees and crops.
- Used to increase the profit of farmers.
- Farmers save cost as their food are derived from the farm.
- The animals also provide organic manure which serve as a fertilizer.
4. Integrated Farming System: Integrated farming system is a cross-linked farming system where farmers use high-quality organic food and renewable energy. The main principle of such system is to reduce pollution and increase income by combining different types of farming. This is a management system that deals with a whole farm which aims to deliver more sustainable agriculture. It refers to agricultural system that integrate livestock & crop production.
- This system increases production to meet the demand of people.
- Intensification of crops growth maximizes income in relation to area, time & efforts.
- This ensures influx of income. This means that within a year, it is possible to make profit constantly from different agricultural sectors with separate season.
5. Crop Rotation System: Crop rotation is the systematic planting of different crops in a particular order over several years in the same growing space. This process helps maintain nutrients in the soil, reduce soil erosion, and prevents plant diseases and pests.
- It helps to control erosion by improving soil stability. Rotating between deep rooted & shallow rooted crops each planting season keep the soil stable
- This system allows farmers to increase productivity by reducing or replacing fallow periods.
The Importance of Farming System
- Farming System serve as a source of live-hood.
- It is a business opportunity in the agricultural sector.
- It provides employment opportunities.
- This contributes to the development of the economy.
- It serve as a source of raw material to the industries such as cotton and jute fabric, sugar, tobacco etc
Partner with CloudFarmFunds
CloudFarmFunds is the premier and a farming enterprise in West Africa, in partner with RainTree Farm.. And our expertise is in the breeding, feeding, and growing of healthy crops & livestock which we go on to process and package for consumption!
To partner with CloudFarmFunds is easy: Funder’s capital covers crop production and rearing of livestock distribution and we do the hard work or you! We facilitate the crop production, breeding, feeding, and eventual processing of the final products for consumption, making impressive returns and our partners very happy.
Have you invested today? if no, direct to our farm shop to sponsor a farm here
Contact us for more inquiries here